History of Hedlund Plumbing
Hedlund Plumbing was founded in 1939 by Einar Hedlund while working out of his residence on Michigan Ave. in Lansing. The company began in similar fashion to most small businesses with Einer handling various plumbing projects for many friends and customers throughout Lansing. The company was moved to a larger facility on River St. in Lansing in the mid-1940’s after Einar expanded into more new construction throughout the growing region. In 1955 the company then moved to a new location on S. Cedar St. and also opened a retair/hardware store. This venture into retail sales allowed Hedlund Plumbing to grow the company and provide not only plumbing installations & services but parts for the do-it-yourself clients.
By 1961, the Lansing area was in full expansion mode with new housing being built in all directions. By this time two of Einar’s sons, Howard and David, were also integrated into the company and the decision was made to get out of hardware and put the entire focus on the plumbing aspect of the business. All that was needed was a new location for a
combination plumbing showroom and warehouse. After much thought it was decided to place the new building on West Saginaw Hwy. near Creyts Rd, which at the time was certainly on the “outskirts” of town. This area showed much potential at the time and was a nice middle point in between Lansing and the Grand Ledge area. The new showroom also allowed Hedlund Plumbing to be the only company in the area to have a variety of plumbing fixtures such as faucets, toilets, and bathtubs on display, as well as the knowledge to properly sell the various plumbing items to their customers. Hedlund Plumbing would remain in this location for the next 40 years.
The new showroom area started out with about 1,500-sq.ft of display space and gradually expanded to a high of about 15,000-sq.ft in the mid-1970’s, and at one point displayed a variety of items such as hot tubs, dishwashers, specialty plumbing fixtures, and even gas BBQ grills! Hedlund Plumbing was also known as the place to go for the purchase of just about any plumbing part ever made.
This retail expansion continued through the 1970’s but from the mid-1980’s through the 1990’s the effects of a variety of things forced the downsizing of the showroom and retail store. Competition from big-box homecenters, the difficulty in providing parts for older fixtures, and eventually the internet all played a part, and the retail store was closed in April 2001. This was a very difficult decision and big change for Hedlund Plumbing, having had a presence on W.Saginaw Hwy. in Delta Township for 40 years, but it allowed the company to concentrate solely on the service and new construction departments.
Plumbing service, bathroom remodeling, and new construction work have always played a large role for Hedlund Plumbing. Various building cycles from the late 1940’s to today have allowed Hedlund’s to install plumbing systems in projects throughout the Greater Lansing area. The Mid-1980’s through the early 2000’s saw tremendous growth throughout the area as well as the company.
This time period also saw the gradual change in Hedlund Plumbing’s leadership from Howard & David to David’s sons, Bob & Tom Hedlund. Hedlund Plumbing is very proud to be a third generation company serving the Greater Lansing area for 75 years. Although all these years have brought economic changes as well as industry change, such as the re-structuring of General Motors, in the Lansing area, one thing that we have tried to maintain and keep consistant is the dedication to our customers and the goal of perfection for each and every job we perform. From just a minor repair to a large remodel project or new construction house, having a satisfied customer has always been and continues to be the ultimate goal. It has been our honor to help all of our friends & customers for 75 years, and we look forward to continuing these friendships for the next 75!